Friday, September 2, 2011

Gooooood Morning Vietnam!!!!


http://www.etsy.com/listing/78486925/vintage-vietnam-era-m1956-combat-field

Just getting on to promote one of my military items listed in my shop. I understand the Vietnam conflict was definitely not one of our greatest moments in history, but that doesn't mean we can't find a silver lining in a dark cloud.

Case in point, reusing and upcycling old field gear from the era. I'm just fascinated by the gear soldiers wear on the battlefiled and that includes even todays modern soldier. The gear from the soldiers of yesterday paved the way for what our boys in the armed forces wear and use today. A pack like this would be ideal for someone that wants to just carry a few items and has proven being durable. I can't say whether or not it has seen actual duty but it's still in good shape given the year, which was around 1956.

The M1956 butt pack (shown above and more pictures can be found at the link above) was made from OD7 cotton duck and featured a small carrying handle, a plastic cardholder and side webbing for attaching standard slide-keeper fixture equipment. The pack also had a row of eyelets on the compartment flap that could be used for attaching hook fixture gear, such as a machete sheath or a bayonet scabbard.

The pack was typically worn on the back of the pistol belt (hence the name butt pack). However, it could be worn higher up the back with the use of adaptor straps. When worn in the standard position the rear suspender straps were clipped directly onto the pack, rather than to the upper row of eyelets on the belt

Well thats my history lesson for the day, stay tuned for another featured item. See you around the corner ;)

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I love the information you shared, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this information. Being a "teenager" of the 1960's, hating the war in Vietnam, I feel a very strong connection. As I mentioned my brother was there and two good friends of mine lost their brothers there. Sad time that should be memorialized.

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete